The MiG-15 was the product of the Mikoyan and Gurevich Design Team, which was known as the MiG Design Bureau. After producing a series of moderately successful fighters during World War II, and numerous prototypes, their first jet powered design, the MiG-9 was not produced in significant numbers. However, after the war, when German aerodynamic research became available, a design was produced using some of the ideas that were incorporated into the Focke Wulf TA-183 jet fighter prototype, which include a sweptback wing. The original prototype first flew in December, 1947, powered by an imported Rolls Royce Nene engine, which the Russians later copied for use in production models. The MiG-15 became the standard Soviet fighter during the late forties, and continued in service for many years thereafter. The type was also exported to Soviet Allies, including China, Poland, Czechoslovakia, and other countries under Soviet influence.