Sci-Fi and Fantasy Modeller Volume 27
Nothing makes for a great day than to get a fantastic magazine in the mail and no big plans for the evening! Issue number 27 of Sci-fi and Fantasy Modeller, which is published by Happy Medium Press in the United Kingdom, covers in-depth builds and reviews of Sci-fi subjects from vehicles to figures and back again.
In Volume 27, there are 13 distinct articles covering this area of modeling and they are:
- WWII Luftwaffe 46 jet and a giant insect diorama
- Simon Merc’s NCC-1701-E mega build
- MFR vehicle build from The Thunderbirds
- Revell Snap kit rebuild of Jedi Interceptor
- The Hunt – alien sub-snatchers diorama
- 1:1 scale Yoda scratchbuild including sculpting parts
- Polar Lights 1/350th Enterprise part II
- Moebius Iron Man VI
- New Dove kit from Journey to The Far Side of the Sun
- Vampires x 2 – Elvira and Dark Shadows kits
- Stunning Blade Runner Blimp project
I don't want to spoil your enjoyment but let's look at a couple of the articles a little more in depth to show you the level of detail in the magazine. First, there is an article detailing a UFO lifting a German U-boat out of the water shortly after it torpedoed a freighter. The U-boat (a 1/700 Tamiya kit) is suspended in the air. There are excellent diorama tips used for both lighting water and creating waves and water effects. There is also great detail on how a clear lampshade was used to simulate the tractor beam pulling the sub into the air. Lots of great instruction present for all modelers.
Second is a superb article on building and detailing, using Revell's Snap-tite Jedi Starfighter and converting it to a competition-worthy build. There are shots of adding details to the cockpit and adding full landing gear to the kit so that it could sit instead of being in a flying pose.
Don't let the name deter you! Sci-fi and Fantasy Modeller is a superb modeling magazine with loads of tips, tricks, and inspiration for all modelers, not just the Sci-fi crowd. Photography and articles are first-rate and equal to all magazines. Highly recommended to all modelers everywhere.
My thanks to Jane Kneen and Happy Medium Press for the review sample and to IPMS/USA for the chance to review it.