Phoenix Scale Modelling International – July/August 2023
Phoenix Scale Modelling International is a multi-interest modeling magazine hailing from Great Britain. While its cover price is reasonable (equivalent to $6.55 for the £5.99 price), postage will almost double that price. There is a digital version available which drops the price down to £4.99 for a single issue, or £19.99 for an annual subscription.
The July/August 2023 issue of Phoenix Scale Modeller International is divided into six general interest, color coded sections:
- Automotive (Red)
- Cosworth Power - Eifion Davies builds the 1:24 D Modelkits Ford Sierra Cosworth 4x4
- Fire Wagon - Eifion Davies builds the 1:24 Italeri Mercedes Benz G-230 Feuerwehr
- K.I.T.T - Eifion Davies builds the 1:25 MPC Knight Rider Pontiac Firebird with LED lighting
- Shifting the Shades - Scott Taylor adds SMS Colour Shift shades to the 1:24 Diecast Distributors Australia Holden HQ Monaro
- Military (Green)
- Rocket in the Snow - Robert Stinchcombe adds a 1:48 Hasegawa Jeep with a Black Dog Conversion set to a winter scene
- The British Armoured Car - Roy Francis Perez builds the 1:35 WarSLug Models kit
- White Water - Adding A Vosper MTB to an ocean scene using Deluxe Materials Deluxe Solid Water, Making Waves by Ian McGonagle
- Military News
- Aircraft (Blue)
- Adversary Hind - Snorre Sandviken builds the 1:48 Zvezda Mi-24 as operated by VTS Aviation
- Cannon Fighter - Robert Stinchcombe builds the 1:32 Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind F Mk. I
- Aircraft News
- Figures (Light Blue)
- HULK! - Jezz Coleman details a 3D printed bust of the big green beast!
- M1 Predator - Ian Gaskell looks to the possible future of the British Army with this 1/35 Macht Staal build
- Books (Blue Green)
- Book Reviews: Doomed – Apocalyptic Horror Hunting; The Folke-Wulf Fw 190; Allied Tanks at El Alamein 1942; German Self-Propelled Artillery at War; UFOs – Military Encounters; Mars Rovers; and British Light Cruisers
The digital edition has an additional 40 pages (124 pages) including a special section, Show Report – 25th Anniversary Moson Model Show 2023.
This is a great general interest modelling magazine that allows readers to sample across multiple genres, and not do a deep dive into armor, ships, cars, figures, sci-fi, etc. The magazine is high quality, and the images are sharp; in short, this is a joy to read and get inspiration through the beautiful builds within its glossy pages. While I am one of the readers who enjoys holding a physical copy of what I am reading, the digital subscription is a great option in these days of increased postage and printing costs. Highly recommended for its wide range of interests, this would also appeal to new modelers wanting to see what’s out there before diving into the rabbit holes of a specific subject.
Profuse thanks to Phoenix Scale Publications and IPMS/USA for providing the review sample.