Das Werk Gepanzerter Munitionsschlepper VK3.02
This munition hauling vehicle kit comes is a small, 7 inches by 11 inches, sturdy box. There are three tan color sprues individually wrapped in plastic, a separate hull and a small bag with four track lengths. I am not sure why this bag is in the kit, because the tracks are all on a sprue. I did not need to use them. The small decal sheet has 11 decals on it. The instruction booklet is small too, 9 inches by 7 inches. It has an antique paper look with seven steps on eight pages. The front shows Das Werks and Amazing Hobbies logos, so that tells me this is a partnership between these two model companies. The assembly instructions are typical line drawings and easy to follow. There are four full color painting and marking guides on the last two pages with Ammo by Mig color information. There are no photo-etched or clear parts.
Construction starts with the hull floor and the fit is very good. The fenders need some extra attention to get them to stay perpendicular to the hull. There was slight flash on the idler wheels along with other small parts. It is almost like the molds did not fit together well in some areas of the sprues. The suspension arms have a sloppy fit because there is no sturdy connection for them. I installed them and used a ruler to try and get them level with the hull and perpendicular so the road wheels will fit correctly. The road wheels needed their mounting holes drilled out a little bigger since the pin on the suspension arms a too big.
The headlight covers need to be cut out since they have a blackout drive cover on them. The driver’s hatches can be positioned open since you can put on the inside lever and they have details, but there are no driver’s compartment details. Maybe an upgrade kit will come later. There are a few knockout pin marks inside the ammunition storage areas that need to be filled in before assembling these parts. There is also a pin on the bottom of the ammunition section that needs to be removed or it will not sit flush with the lower hull. The rear mud guards did not line up well with the lower hull. I drilled out the small tail pipe off the muffler.
The tracks are the link and length type. There are four sprue connection points on each link that will need to be sanded down. They loosely fit together and will need to be glued for a few minutes before trying to fit them on the road wheels. I did find that they are about one link too short. I had to separate each link just a little to get the extra length I needed for them to connect. There are no spare links included, except for the before mentioned four extra runs of tracks. I still do not know what those were included for.
The decals went down well over Tamiya paint and a Future gloss coat. I did trim the excess decal carrier film closer to the markings and needed about three applications of setting solution to get all the edges to lay down.
This is a small vehicle when done and about the size of a Jeep. I built it alongside Das Werks 5cm Pak kit and they share about 75% of the parts.
I would like to thank MBK-USA and IPMS for the opportunity to build and review this fun kit.