Japanese AFV Database
ModelArt is a high quality Japanese language modeling magazine. This edition is a Japanese AFV Database plastic model guide for Japanese military vehicle kits in 1/35, 1/48, and 1/72-76 scales. The guide shows kits of Japanese vehicles, including AFVs, softskins, and figures. The kits are illustrated as built models or an Out-of-the Box view of the kit parts. The text is in Japanese, but there are many high quality photographs that illustrate the kits. The kits have English titles that give the name of the vehicle, kit manufacturer, scale, and name of the modeler.
The sections of the guide are organized by vehicle type. The start of each section includes a few in-action photos of the real vehicles, and at the end of each section is some modeling tips or a sampling of completed kits.
- Japanese Army’s Medium Tank – 29 pages including some tips on how to prepare treads.
- Japanese Army’s Tank Destroyer, Light Tanks, Armored Car – 21 pages including tips on applying camouflage.
- Japanese Army, Navy’s Amphibious Tank, Automobiles, etc. – 25 pages including a listing of Japanese tank kits from 1960.
- Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force Tank – 25 pages.
- Japanese Ground/Air Self-Defense Force SPG, Armored Car – 27 pages.
- Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force Other Vehicle – 16 pages.
The AFV Database appears to be a thorough listing of kits of Japanese military vehicles. The photographs illustrate the kits and many excellent built models of the vehicles. Even without being able to read most of the text, this Guide is a valuable reference for modelers, and particularly for those interested in Japanese military vehicles.
Thanks to ModelArt for producing these excellent publications and providing the review copy to IPMS.