SA-16B Albatross

Published on
September 14, 2011
Review Author(s)
Product / Stock #
Company: Revell, Inc. - Website: Visit Site
Provided by: Revell, Inc. - Website: Visit Site
Box Art

The Albatross was to be a replacement for the Grumman Goose; it began life as the XJR2F-1 Pelican with a Navy designation as the PF-1 and an Air Force designation of SA -16A. The SA-16B – the subject of this kit – was an upgraded machine which had 100 inches added to each wing in two separate plugs. A seventy-inch extension was grafted outboard of each engine nacelle, with a thirty-inch one near the tip. It also had a slightly wider horizontal stabilizer and a taller vertical fin. The B model had a wingspan of 96 feet 8 inches and was 62 feet 10 inches long with an empty weight of 22,883 lbs. It was powered by two Wright 1820-76A-94 engines of 1425 horsepower each, and boasted a speed of 236 MPH, with a range of 3465 miles. At least 19 other countries operated the Albatross besides the United States.

The Monogram offering is a vintage kit, and this release is from the Selected Subjects Program (SSP). It’s molded in white plastic with raised rivet detail and features retractable landing gear. To improve its appearance, I decided to fix the gear in place and subdue the rivet detail. The engine detail is molded into the cowl but looked OK after some staining. I started with the fuselage and realized it was wide open from nose to tail, so I elected to add a bulkhead behind the cockpit floor supplied in the kit. The cockpit is basic with the pilot and copilot molded into their seats, so I decided to paint them and put them in, even though it’s been many years since I’ve put figures inside my planes. I painted the interior and then drew on detail just for grins. I also filled the nose with lead so it would stand right.

The kit comes with working retractable landing gear and gear doors. It’s really very ingenious, but I broke one playing with it, so I glued the gear in place, then went ahead and filled in the extra holes and gaps of this system. I’m told if you want them to operate, you should put a drop of oil where they snap into a ring inside the wing.

The wing fit nicely flush to the top of the fuselage, but had a huge gap in the undersurfaces, which I filled with super glue. Finally, I sanded all seams and the entire aircraft surface to tone down the rivets. The canopy fit was fair and I used Sobo craft glue – which dries clear – for all the side windows.

I used Gunze paints for color and Model Master Non-Buffing Aluminum Metalizer for the silver. The real machines were painted in a silver lacquer, so I did no shading as I would on a natural metal airplane.

Decals are given for two US Air Force birds, and for my model, I opted for the “rainbow” Air Force paint scheme with its red tail. All the decals lay down well with application of a little Gunze Mr. Mark Softer. I overcoated the decals and color surfaces with clear to even out the shine on the model.

Overall, I’m happy with the results, had fun re-living a childhood experience with a kit from my past, and ended up with a good representation of the Albatross.

I want to thank IPMS and Monogram for the opportunity to build and review this kit.


Add new comment

All comments are moderated to prevent spam

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.