Gloster Gladiator, Limited Edition

Published on
Review Author(s)
Scale
1/48
MSRP
$49.95
Product / Stock #
1145
Company: Eduard - Website: Visit Site
Provided by: Eduard - Website: Visit Site
Box Art

Eduard has issued this kit based on the Roden model kit with the additional the Eduard accessories.

In the box is:

  • 6 x light grey sprues
  • 1 clear sprue
  • 1 photoetched details parts
  • 1 mask set
  • 1 decal sheet
  • 1 instruction booklet

All the sprues are well-molded, although there is some flash and a few sink marks which are easily fixed. The detail is very fine and crisp.

The kit can be built as any of eight versions, you need to decide between before commencing the built which you are going to do. I went with Version B, one of the Swedish Volunteer force which was sent to Finland to assist in the winter war against Russia in 1940.

Construction

First, based on the order in the Instruction booklet, we start on the cockpit of this kit, which with the Photo etch is extremely well detailed. There are two instrument panel options to select based on the option selected. The Eduard photo etch parts add details to the cockpit sidewalls and main cockpit.

Next, on to adding the cockpit, guns and detail parts into the two fuselage halves. There are a few sink marks on the aft end of the fuselage that need filling at this point. The holes for the guns also need to be opened out also. Do not forget to use the nice masks for the clear parts at this stage.

Now we add the very nice seat belts to the cockpit.

The engine is next for assembly, and it’s very well detailed. The only issue here I found was the three part cowling assembly for which I made a circle insert for to ensure a nice fit. Another issue occurs during the assembly of the engine into the cowling. The engine is too big to install directly so you have to open up the inside of the cowling by thinning down the plastic walls.

Wing assembly is next, and I used a jig to ensure the wings lined up correctly, as this is always an awkward part to achieve easily with bi-planes. I also had to shorten items C19 slightly to get the correct fit.

Now to the landing gear. I used the Skis for the Option B that I selected, and once again I found that the part numbers at this stage were incorrect on a couple of parts, so be careful, or like me you will need to dissemble them if you follow the instructions. There are also a couple of sink marks that need filling and also the fit to the wing needed some sanding to achieve.

The last two stages are adding the final exterior details which were easy.

The last things to do were the rigging and the decals. For the rigging, I had pre-drilled very fine holes to allow for the rigging lines to be added quickly, and I used EZ- line.

Summary

I really enjoyed this little build with the odd issue, it went together very well and looks great, especially the cockpit detail.

Thanks go to Eduard for providing this kit to review, and IPMS USA for allowing me to review it for them.

Comments

Add new comment

All comments are moderated to prevent spam


This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.