F-14A Wheels and Tires (Early) BIG SIN for Tamiya
Thanks once again to Eduard for providing a copy of one of their sets for IPMS USA to review;
They continue to support us and ask for feedback and it’s great to be a part of the process. Also, thanks to Dick “Monty” Montgomery and our fearless leader Dave Morrissette for ordering the set for the review.
From Eduard’s website, the following individual part number sets are included in this Big Sin Set; beside it are the title and Standard Retail costs, and then the overall “savings” of purchasing the “Big SIN” with all three smaller sets in it is at the bottom:
|F-14A wheels early 1/48
|F-14A exhaust nozzles 1/48
|F-14A cockpit 1/48
I don’t know about your budget, but that certainly helps mine when I buy these sets.
I understand the concept that frequently I will not buy the whole set of PE for a kit; however, something like the Revell HE-219 really shows off the entire set of interior and exterior bits just to bring it up to better levels of detail for such a massive model. If you, as the purchaser, don’t want it, great!
Side bar: The choice is, of course, up to all us consumers out here. I personally listen to the complaining and think UNPRINTABLE thoughts, because I really enjoy all these manufacturers doing what they do. And the few who complain really need to get a reality check. For our manufacturers, PLEASE KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING. It’s great to have options!
SO how do the sets match up with the model parts? Actually they are very close; I have farmed out the model I build a few months ago to a guy in the office, and having built it have already ordered another one of these sets to get the value and detail inherent in the resin for my next tomcat after THIS one.
I started with the wheels and tires; flat black auto primer to seal the resin and give it tooth for subsequent paint application. I did not use the masks, as I preferred the paint everything, then cement the Wheels in the tires routine. This worked well for me. The tire markings, (you can read “Goodyear” © on the sidewall), tread, etc. are market leaders and the wheels are accurate, high-depth components which outdo the kit parts, (although the kit parts are ok…). Brake detail is outstanding, and as I re-look the bolt and hole detail really is higher in fidelity than the kit parts… the finished Eduard items stand out.
The nose gear wheels and tires are already one-part items, and I used careful painting to get them looking real. When you remove them from the pour stub, the flat is already there, so all you need do is touch up paint.
The next set was the cockpit. I spent three nights on this one; one for the ejection seats, one for the instrument panels and side panels, and back bulkheads, and one to finish bringing them together. The details on the panels are excellent, and the decals for dials was tricky but worked well, far better than just straight drybrushing and micro-brush dial “Pick out”
The seats are complex little boogers, with micro-straps and all… but it all comes together in the end. Khaki seats, light gray survival kit boxes, and plenty of careful brushwork on the sides. Decals are provided along with relief detail for the instrument panels and consoles. The rudder pedals are appropriately different for front and back sets, and all the resin clicks neatly in place, without having to tear the model fuselage apart to make it all fit. NICE!
The set includes a clear reflector for the weapons HUD; I painted it Tamiya clear green (the standard) and it push-fit into place without complaint.
Last were the exhaust augmentors. These took careful painting and drybrush work to come out, and the PE for the flameholder was a bit tricky, particularly the triangular cone section. One nozzle is open, the other closed, and the builder must be careful in aligning the nozzles. I have included a picture of my “high tech” part holder for painting: a ¼” dowel with one end of a 8 ½” by 11” paper is taped to the stick like a flag, then the paper is rolled tight. Slide the exhausts or wheels on to it, the allow the paper to spring back out, providing a secure method to hold the parts… I use sticks for painting everything, and cocktail sticks/toothpicks with duct tape work well too…
End game: The instructions were well done, the overall effect was stunning, and I find Eduard aftermarket more than worthy of our collective attention. Full marks, and thanks again to Vladmir and his crew for working with us at IPMS USA!