Air National Guard Mustang Decals
1/72 scale builders should be happy to hear that Iliad Design has reduced their 1/48 ANG Mustang decal sheet to 1/72 scale...and added one more option! ANG Mustangs are interesting subjects that, in my opinion, have not been covered very well by domestic decal companies. There are five subjects on the sheet provided in this set. These options provide builders a choice of National Guard Mustangs in a somewhat dulled natural metal finish with Olive Drab anti-glare panels, colorful unit emblems, and prominent code numbers and serials. The aircraft served in units in five Midwestern and Western states in the four years following WWII. Some may have gone on to serve in the Korean War.
The five options are:
- P-51D, 44-72952, flown by Major H.H. Kirby, 154th Fighter Squadron, Arkansas National Guard, late 1946.
- P-51D, 44-73205, 110th FS, Missouri National Guard, late 1946/early 1947.
- P-51D, 44-73564, 175th FS, 132nd Fighter Group, South Dakota National Guard, summer 1947.
- P-51D, 45-11349, 113th FS, Indiana National Guard, 1949 (Note: By this date, this Mustang would have been identified as an F-51D).
- P-51D, 44-63746, 188th FS, New Mexico National Guard, 1947, displaying the Zuni Indian Zia sun emblem.
As with other Iliad decal sets, these decals are extremely well printed and are of very high quality. Registration is crisp with vivid opaque colors that appear quite accurate. Everything is printed on thin film that I have found will respond well to Gunze’s Mr. Mark Softer decal setting solution. There is a substantial amount of carrier film surrounding the small items, so it is advisable to apply these decals on a smooth glossy finish and use a setting solution to avoid silvering.
Iliad includes their typical double-sided, full color instruction sheet that provides the modeler with a port profile of each Mustang (with appropriate aircraft and unit information) and an overhead view of each aircraft, with underwing marking locations lightly ghosted.
Iliad decals can be found at a number of full-service retail hobby shops and via mail order. However, they can be easily sourced directly from the manufacturer at the website noted above. The website also provides a list of retailers who stock Iliad’s products.
This set is highly recommended. My thanks to Iliad Design for supplying the review sample and IPMS/USA for the opportunity to review it.