Scale Aircraft Conversions (SAC) specializes in white metal replacement landing gear parts for aircraft kits. This review is for the 1/72nd scale Hasegawa F-104 Starfighter from the 1989 original mold and its reissues (which there are several). Two full sets are in the blister pack, so two kits can have metal landing gear. These are drop-in replacements for the F-104 (parts D7, C12, B11 & B12) and TF-104 (parts F15, C12, B11 & B12). Attached pictures are for the F-104 comparison.
I first discovered this publisher and series at an IPMS Nats a few years ago. As the title says, they specialize in WW2 Pacific aircraft, and do an excellent job covering some lesser-known subjects.
This is a softcover publication, with 120 pages in a nice, high-quality semi-gloss finish and a stiff outer cover. Publishing quality is first-rate, as is the content itself.
The introduction to the book describes the author’s intent, which is primarily to detail and clarify the various markings of Airacobras in the South and Southwest Pacific theater. This contains a brief explanation of the deployment of the type, and some explanations as to the differences between the various models of the P-39, as well as the P-400. The author is very concise and clear in spelling this all out. This is immediately followed by tables showing the various bases used by the squadrons flying the Airacobra in this region, as well as a brief glossary.
- The first two pages are introductory paragraphs.
- Page 5 covers the MiG acrylic colors and chipping fluids, providing brief how-to paragraphs for each. Each product section includes QR codes for the products page from the Mig website plus how-to videos. The QR code feature is typical for most of the products described.
- Page 6 Washes.
- Page 7 Streaking brushers and Oilbrushers.
- Page 8 Pigments and splashes.
- Page 9 Heavy mud and engines, fuel and oil.
- Page 10 Enamel odorless thinner.
- Page 11 One Shot primers and Titans Hobby Paints.
- Page 12 Extra thin and medium density cements, and Colle 21-slow dry cyanoacrylate.
- Page 13 Arming Putty and Ultra Decal Set and Fix. Neither of these products were used in the weathering process covered in this publication.
- Now for the modeler, such as myself, many of the products listed above are items may be new.
The book is volume 39 of Helion & Company’s Middle East @ War series and, as noted in the title, is the first volume of its coverage of Czechoslovak Arms Exports to the Middle East. It examines the re-birth of the Czechoslovakian arms production business in the aftermath of World War II and Czechoslovakia’s first attempts to find a market for its products
This set is designed to provide replacement parts for the Hasegawa/Hobby 2000 SBD Dauntless kits. The package includes two complete sets of gear, consisting of the two main gear struts and two options for the tail wheel assembly – one with the small hard rubber tire used for carrier operations and the other a larger pneumatic tail wheel used for shore-based operations by Navy and Marine aircraft and the Army Air Corps A-24.
As with most of SAC’s landing gear sets, the metal parts are intended to be one-for-one replacements for the kit parts. The parts are well cast and need just a little clean-up of the casting seams with a sharp Xacto blade. I recommend taking your time removing the tail wheels from the casting tree or you will end up with a very flat looking tire as I did on the smaller wheel. Also, be sure you do not trim off the long extension pointing aft above the tail wheel as it is supposed to be there - it is a tow bar used to help move the plane.